Wednesday 24 March 2010

Part C: Application (Cabin Design)

My Cabin Design


My cabin design is made up of three separate rooms. The first room and the largest houses the kitchen, dining and living room. The second room which is connected to the first is the study and an area for reflection. This room is slightly sunken; the changing of levels also used in Wardle’s design separates and defines the different spaces. The last room is the bedroom, which within there is a small bathroom.


All three of these rooms are connected by a verandah area. I have chosen a similar special arrangement as Wardle’s has in his design of the Isaacson Davis house, by placing the rooms in order of how they are used in the sequence of the day. The special arrangement in my design also separates private areas from public.


Similarly to Wardle’s design I have located my bedroom on the west side of the house so that it receives warmth from the afternoon sun. Also so that sunsets over the lake can be viewed through the large glass façade that makes up the front wall of the room. I have placed the lounge room and kitchen areas on the eastern side of my design so that they receive heat from the morning sun and views of the sunrise. The deck and study area will receive a lot of sun during the middle of the day so I have large eaves over the study and partly shaded the decking area. I have placed large eaves around the entire house protecting the large glass windows from heating up the house too much.


The large amount of doors and windows allows for good cross ventilation through the house from north westerly winds that come of the lake area. I have placed small gaps under each row of glass on the front façade to allow cool breezes to enter the room.
I have taken John Wardle’s concept of raising the entire cabin on stilts so that little impact is so that as little possible impact is left on the environment. Because my design is located right on the water this allows runoff to pass underneath the house without the wooden material of the cabin being affected by moisture and decay.


One Idea I have taken from the Isaacson Davis house that creates a sense of delight in my cabin is specially made, hand crafted furnishings. I have designed a wooden window seat that fits the natural curves of your body. This I placed in the study so that the inhabitant might have a place to relax and reflect for a moment looking out over the lake beyond. I have used mostly natural materials such as timber in my design so that it reflects its natural surroundings. I have broken up this use of timber with glass facades and windows. I have chosen to place my design so that the part of the front section cantilevers over the lake giving the user the feeling of floating above the water.


























No comments:

Post a Comment